Saturday, March 29, 2008

Critical Mass 3

When I got home after eighteen hours of traveling, just as I was getting my mail out of my mail out of my mailbox, Maisie called to ask if I was coming to the mass.

I was long passed exhaustion but since they were riding by my place, I figured I would join the ride for a bit. It was a small group again with a few different riders.

After I joined them, we rode around Osaka Castle. It was good to see everyone and kind of jarring to be thrown back into Japanese with so little sleep. Since neither of us had eaten, Shoko and I dropped out to grab a bite. After dinner, Shoko went to rejoin them but I was too beat, so I went home and slept until 3:oo AM, when I mysteriously woke up and couldn't fall back asleep.

When I was out walking today, I got a different kind of welcome back to Japan. On Midosuji, there was a long procession of right-wing nationalists broadcasting hate speech on megaphones. There were cops lining the streets, watching them.


I said to my friend Yuka, who was getting lunch with me, "hey, it's those guys who don't like foreigners." She seemed to be totally oblivious to the situation, so I told her to listen to what they were saying. She listened for a bit, and then said, "Oh, that's really weird... I'm sorry."

No comments: